Chickpeas are one of the few plant based protein sources that provides a complete balanced amino acid profile. They also provide trace quantities of many minerals and nutrients. Chickpeas are highly digestible, especially when cooked and they can provide a nice creamy texture to smoothies.
Nutrients (1 Cup)
- Molybdenum 273%
- Manganese 85%
- Folate 71%
- Copper 64%
- Iron 26%
- Phosphorus 39%
- Magnesium 20%
- Zinc 17%
- Selenium 9%
- Potassium 14%
- Calcium 8%
- Thiamin 13%
- Vitamin E 3%
Chickpeas contain high levels of fiber and protein and trace quantities of many nutrients and minerals that can add up to many important health benefits.
- Digestive health – Fiber and protein, both present in high levels in chickpeas are important for regulating the speed that food travels through the digestive tract. The fiber also helps to tone the muscles of the digestive tract.
- Cardiovascular health – While many studies don’t differentiate between chickpeas and other legumes, chickpeas are one of the more nutritious legumes. Eating legumes on a regular basis (beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils, etc.) has been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol, support healthy blood vessels and blood cells and reduce inflammation, adding up to a reduced risk of cardiovascular problems including coronary heart disease.
- Anti-oxidants – Chickpeas provide small but valuable quantities of many awesome anti-oxidant compounds including Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc and beta-carotene. Chickpeas also provide many important phytonutrients that are beneficial for our health including quercetin, kaempferol, and myricetin.
- Improved blood sugar regulation – Soluble and insoluble fiber found in chickpeas helps to regulate the speed that food is absorbed through the digestive tract. When sugar is absorbed slowly through the digestive tract, blood sugar tends to remain steady without drastic spikes or drops.
- Muscle building – Protein in chickpeas has a high degree of digestibility and it contains all the essential amino acids, making it easier for your body to grow and build muscle.
Chickpeas are a powerhouse of nutrition and extremely beneficial for people to include in their diets. There are many recipes available that use chickpeas as a protein source. Cooking chickpeas greatly increases their digestibility. Here are a few easy recipes.