I’m not a big fan of the word “superfood“. The way that I look at it, we’re really just talking about nutritious food. Another person’s superfood is my normal food. Maybe that means that I’m super? I don’t know. Let’s not even go there. I think I need to at least have worked out for a couple of times in a week to be considered super. Regardless, superfood is just food.
Here are some really awesome foods that can boost your performance in the gym or in athletic endeavors:
- Chia seeds – Chia sees are my absolute favorite smoothie ingredient. They’re packed with all kinds of important nutrients like calcium, protein, fiber etc. Most importantly perhaps is that they contain lots of Omega-3 fatty acids. In fact, chia seeds contain more omega-3 fatty acids then any other food that I know of.
- Sunflower seeds – That’s right, maybe you didn’t know that sunflower seeds are nutrient rich and packed with protein and healthy fat. They are. They contain some of my favorite anti-oxidants, zinc and vitamin E. They’re not a complete protein, meaning that they should be supplemented with something else like cheese, yogurt, mushrooms, corn or gelatin for a balance of all essential amino acids.
- Moringa leaf powder – In my opinion, moringa is the only food that really should be called superfood. It is super. It’s packed nutrition and it’s got a complete amino acid profile. It’s like super-spinach turned up to level 11. It totally rocks.
- Banana – That’s right, the lowly banana is a superfood in my opinion. Bananas provide super awesome energy in a compact and convenient form. There’s all kinds of nutrients in those little yellow and white powerbars from heaven, so eat up and supercharge whatever it is that you’re doing.
- Peanuts – Peanuts are a really affordable source of protein and many important nutrients. Peanuts, like sunflower seeds are not a complete protein, and they require similar supplementation if you use them as a primary protein source, so enjoy them with cheese, yogurt, eggs, gelatin or mushrooms for a more balanced amino acid supply.
Eating well and gaining muscle mass doesn’t have to be incredibly expensive. Make sure that you’re getting all your amino acids and enjoy the burn.
- Sunflower seeds – World’s Healthiest Foods
- Foods that compliment sunflower seeds amino acid profile – Nutritional Data
- Foods that compliment peanuts amino acid profile – Nutritional Data