Gaining healthy weight is especially difficult for some people. People who have fast metabolisms or who have trouble eating regular meals may benefit from eating nutrient dense foods. Foods that are especially easy to digest and that contain high levels of nutrients like protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates are especially beneficial. Eating a balance of nutrients ensures that you are providing your body with everything that it may need for building muscle mass.
Some foods that can help with weight gain are
- Sunflower seeds – Seeds in general are beneficial because they contain so many nutrients and minerals as well as high levels of nutritious fat, protein and fat. Some other healthy seeds are flax seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds and alfalfa seeds.
- Garbanzo beans – Otherwise known as chickpeas, garbanzo beans are highly digestible and a complete protein. They provide all the essential amino acids and plenty of other nutrients and minerals. Another reason that they make an excellent source of calories is that they have a pleasant taste and blend well with many other ingredients.
- Leafy Greens – Green leafy vegetables like kale, collard greens, spinach and parsley contain many important nutrients and they are also an excellent source of protein. Cooking/freezing leafy green vegetables improves their digestibility and makes it easier for your body to access the nutrients that they contain.
- Sweet potatoes – Regular potatoes and sweet potatoes contain a lot of nutrients. Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, which is extremely important for your health as well as high levels of carbohydrates and fiber. They are an excellent food for good health and for healthy weight gain.
- Bananas – If gorillas and elephants enjoy bananas, then they must be good food for you, right? High levels of protein, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and all kinds of other nutrients makes bananas a powerhouse of nutritious energy. Complex carbohydrates in bananas are paired with plenty of fiber, so that your blood sugar slowly increases, giving you a steady supply of energy for extended periods of time and without spiking your blood sugar.
Gaining weight can be difficult for some people if you digestion isn’t healthy, or if you have a fast metabolism. Slowing down your metabolism involves some pretty major lifestyle changes, but it is possible. Improving the health of your digestion is also something that you can accomplish with a little effort.
Exercises for gaining weight
Exercising properly for gaining weight is something that you should talk to a professional trainer about. Generally speaking, for gaining muscle mass and slowing down your metabolism, you want to do less cardio and more weight lifting. Lifting heavier weights for less repetitions is something that should be done with proper form, which a trainer can help you with.
Eating for gaining weight
Eating more often and eating richer, more nutritious foods takes a little getting used to. My food budget has been getting lower and lower as I eat healthier. It’s interesting that so many extremely nutritious foods are actually so incredibly good for you and cheap as well.